GB3PL repeater in Plympton

Amateur Radio Discussions.

Moderator: embleton

embleton
Site Admin

GB3PL repeater in Plympton

Post by embleton » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:47 pm

GB3PL is 3.2 miles away from my location and in line of sight. I can open the repeater with my handset with a tone of 77Hz and receive a signal from GB3PL with a readability of 5 and signal strength of 9 (with new antennae). But am unreadable by other users of the repeater. I've been arguing the point that the receiver sensitivity or filtering on GB3PL is poor and needs to be looked at on their Facebook group. If there was a hill in the way I wouldn't receive a signal as even 25W won't go through a hill on 2m! Am pointing 61 degrees N/E at IO70xi coordinates on the east side of Staddsicombe and the repeater would need to get to coordinates IO70xi on top of the hill 242 degrees southwest and if there is a hill in the way I'll eat my hat!

Unfortunately, the parties involved are stating that it is fine without any willingness to tackle the issue but it is their repeater so that is completely up to them on what work is done.

I'm not unappreciated of the cost of maintaining a repeater and I thank the keepers of GB3PL for providing the service.

I can get into GB3CH (70cm) 20 miles away, GB3WD 6 miles away and GB3JL (2m) 20 miles away from my Staddiscome location but a repeater on a lower wavelength than 70cm at only 3.2 miles away by a line of sight is causing issues, and all the keepers can say is up the power on my transceiver. Well, a repeater that needs 25W up its arse to talk through it is a little pointless!

I imagine my posts on the group's Facebook page will be deleted sooner or later, so have written a piece on this site. The administrator of the GB3PL Facebook group has turned off commenting on the post concerning this issue and banned me from the group, what a baby now please act like an adult M0WMB! Should have seen M0WMB comments via messenger which were absolutely disgusting.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 10.26.47.png
Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 10.26.47.png (107.67 KiB) Viewed 90499 times
M0WMB
Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 13.20.29.png
Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 13.20.29.png (45.91 KiB) Viewed 90495 times

The GB3PL repeater provides an essential service for local villages to keep in contact with the community and the wider the coverage the better. Anyone who wishes to run a charity or provide funds for getting GB3PL fixed, please get in contact with the keeper to donate funds.

I do not align with the thoughts of the GB3PL keeper and some of the thoughts of individuals in the net run by the Saltash Amateur District Radio Society on GB3PL, they practise discrimination, and censorship on their Facebook group and believe they are the enforcers of good in the world!

Most of the individuals I've talked to on the amateur radio bands have been very pleasant only a few that spoil it for others hams, and yes I mean M0WMB. I'm surprised that the RSGB would have such an individual representing them in the southwest region!

M7YME

embleton
Site Admin

Re: GB3PL repeater in Plympton

Post by embleton » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:00 pm

I'm now throwing out 9W ERP into the air to GB3PL but it may be the demodulation/modulator, filtering stage in GB3PL and receiver sensitivity that is downgraded after upgrading my antennae to a Diamond SRJ77, loud and clear into GB3CH (70cm) five times the distance! Can see the signal coming back with reduced modulation on the SDR. And GB3JL (2m) full quieting was reported by 2E0IFK, 20 miles away from GB3JL. The new antenna and microphone are fully quieting into GB3CH. :D

embleton
Site Admin

Post by embleton » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:41 am

Tried Echolink into GB3PL unfortunately it times out quickly so is pretty useless. Transmitting on GB3PL via the repeater doesn't work always via Echolink often gets disconnected.

And before anyone blames Echolink on my internet connection this is the speed I'm getting whilst my internet connection is loaded:-

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 13.30.38.png
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 13.30.38.png (145.01 KiB) Viewed 89919 times

embleton
Site Admin

Post by embleton » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:59 am

I've now been removed from the GB3PL repeater Facebook group, I wasn't even able to comment anyway, I've broken no licensing amateur radio rules! Fair enough, I got the message...

I have since found out that it is a keeper of GB3PL and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Saltash Amateur Radio Club but then again the President of the Saltash Amateur Radio Club is the keeper, so I am not sure how that impacts my future membership of that club?

And we all know that RF isn't an exact science when travelling through air one brick or tree in the wrong place can and does cause issues...

embleton
Site Admin

Post by embleton » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:10 am

I've since found out that GB3PL was off frequency, so as I suggested the unit did have a fault but all the above posts have been removed from the Facebook GB3PL group (censorship)..., and I was told that I'm the one who has been unfriendly and difficult to engage by email by the Saltash Amateur Radio Club president which is the keeper of GB3PL, I addressed my correspondence to the secretary of Saltash Amateur Radio Club which isn't the president but received a reply from the president!

I've been nothing but friendly to that group and even apologized for any distress caused when it is the Saltash Amateur Radio Club that should apologise to me for engaging with myself first by Facebook Messenger and then discriminating against somebody with a registered disability with a registered amateur radio license with Ofcom!

They accused me of not having a radio amateur license by Facebook Messenger even though they knew otherwise and they aren't Ofcom but policing the bands when no error occurred, what nonsense... And the Saltash Amateur Radio Club has excluded a disabled individual from joining their club in so many words, a registered club that is likely a charity, unconfirmed! A club that treats disabled individuals differently and doesn't make reasonable adjustments is I believe breaking the law of the United Kingdom or at least the spirit of the law!

They state everyone is welcome to join their group, well, that is a plain lie! They should plainly state everyone can join their group apart from those living with severe mental health disabilities!

The Equality Act states:-

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06.03.47.png
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 06.03.47.png (70.2 KiB) Viewed 88704 times

embleton
Site Admin

Post by embleton » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 pm

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 21.58.26.png
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 21.58.26.png (136.75 KiB) Viewed 88665 times

embleton
Site Admin

Post by embleton » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:30 pm

This is how our conversation started with the the person concerned throwing an accusation that I'm violent which is a myth that ignorant people say.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 23.19.35.png
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 23.19.35.png (134.51 KiB) Viewed 88661 times

embleton
Site Admin

Post by embleton » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:23 am

It seems the Radio Amateur Society of the Saltash Radio Ametuer Society has a readership of 7 users of their group on FaceBook which isn't surprising considering their state on discrimination. against those with disabilities and censorship!